Sunday, June 2, 2013

Film Development



Here is my first try at developing 35mm film. It turned out a whole lot better than I thought it would. Now the picture is grainy I know, but there are two things causing this.

1. This is really cheap B&W film. Kentmere 400 that I bought from B&H Photo for three bucks a roll. I did that on purpose because I just wanted something to "play" with.
2. I do not own a dedicated film scanner (which I desperately want). Because of this, the way I brought the negatives into my computer, are less that optimal I guess you can say. I had to use an Ion iPics2Go "scanner" that I picked up a while back. If you are not familiar with this device, essentially its a box that you set your iPhone in, and it lets you "scan" 4x6 prints, or 35mm film using your iPhone's camera. Now you would think that it would do a really good job because of the quality of the iPhone camera, but the issue is with the film is that, because you have to crop in so much to capture the negative, you loose tons of quality. It will do in a pinch, but the results are less than par. This was my only option to get them in to my computer, so onward and upward.

All that said, I am very pleased with the results, graininess aside. For this being my first time developing film, I think the images turned out really well. It looks like I all but nailed my developing time in the tank, which was something I was very concerned with. Looking through the negatives, all of the blacks and whites are consistent, and exposures are spot on. 

Take a look at some of the other photos and tell me what you think.

Look for more to come on this....

No comments:

Post a Comment